As I got ready for my trip to Texas, I started worrying about all the details of your homebirth. Your grandpa just reassured me, “They have a plan, and you don’t need to worry.” I was able to relax about things I couldn’t control. On our way to the airport in Salt Lake City I suddenly heard my dad’s voice so plainly, “Come on, Annie-belle…” And knew, of course, that’s what he’d call you! It was so sweet and clear, it made me tear up.
Your mommy and daddy met my flight Tuesday evening the 26th in Midland. Then, Wednesday morning your mommy and I went walking the path around the park (the one that you and she know so well). I was telling her about my experience on the freeway the day before—when right in my path, I spied a shiny golden penny! I picked it up and gave it to your mom. “This one’s for Annabelle!” When I and your great aunts were little, nothing made us happier than a shiny golden penny from your great-grandpa Christiansen. We’d much rather have one of those than a nickel, dime or quarter! And ever since he died, I find them everywhere! Just a little acknowledgement. :)
After lunch your mommy and I made the 40 minute trip to Midland to pick up a few things for the Church Halloween Party at Walmart. Your mommy was a little uncomfortable on the drive there and back and was relieved when we arrived home for dinner and to greet your daddy. Later she and I went to the church building and helped set up for Friday’s party. When we got back, your daddy was working on setting up the birth pool. We were laughing at the complicated directions, but he did it and we all went to bed.
Somewhere between 4 and 4:30 am your mommy came in to wake me up. It took me a few minutes to realize where I was and that I needed TO GET UP! We worked through some contractions with her leaning over the end of the high guest-room bed before moving into the bathroom. I just remained close to soothe, massage, and reassure her as your mommy’s contractions were so close together! I found myself deep breathing with her as I recognized how close we were to your birth. I was telling myself to stay calm, that I could help Bethany deliver if the midwife didn’t arrive soon. Whew, was I glad to see her in the doorway! During this time, we could hear your daddy stepping quickly up and down the wood floor hallway—filling the pool and pumping the exercise ball in between. If we all hadn’t been so focused, we would’ve been laughing. The ball… then the bed to be checked… then easing carefully into the birthing pool…your daddy and I supporting on either side of your mommy. After she worked through about four contractions pushing—there you were! It all seemed to take place in minutes…okay, it DID take place in minutes!! And you and your mommy made every one count! It was crazy good and amazing! As Dawn, the mid-wife put it, “Your mommy breathed you into being.” Thank you, sweet little Annabelle, for waiting for me to make your arrival. You are now a part of my heart.
(The day after your birth, I was again walking toward the park, and another shiny golden penny lay in my path. I just picked it up and smiled. Today, Nov.1, your actual due-date…walking in the clear Texas morning …I stopped to pick up another…”she’s pretty cool, huh, Dad?”…..).