Monday, November 1, 2010

Daddy's Version of Your Birth

Back and Forth Again

Annabelle, the morning of your birth started as I awoke early to see your mother leaning on her side of the bed taking a deep breath. When she told me she was having contractions it was hard to believe. At first I didn’t think there was any rush, as there were no real signs just a few hours before. I remember not thinking it was that important that she awoke your grandmother, Sharlene, but within a few minutes it was obvious that you were on your way! While your mom was getting support from her mother, I took turns running back and forth between filling up the birth pool and pumping up the exercise ball Bethany was going to use as a support while in labor. Shortly after 4 am I called Dawn, Bethany’s midwife, who jumped out of bed to be here before you came. Then, promptly, I resumed blowing up the exercise ball and filling up the pool. The hot water heater ran out of water before long and I resolved to boiling 2 pots of water at a time which I then shuttled back and forth between the stove and the pool. Shortly after Dawn arrived, Bethany was able to get into the pool. By this time your mother was already fully dilated and you were on final approach! So, if you can picture me carrying pots of boiling water trying to heat up the pool you both were in and pausing in between to hold your mother’s hand as another contraction came and left, that is how I spent the final moments before your delivery. There did come a point however, when I saw your head just starting to peak through. At this point I stopped my shuttling and settled in to hold Bethany’s hand for the final few pushes. Your mother was a champion. I could see the mixture of pain and anticipation as she knew you were very close to her arms. When you finally made it through and were placed on your mother’s chest, an indescribable look of love quickly replaced the pain as she held your small body close. Unaware of anything else around her but you, we had to ask her to leave the pool and return to the bed so that Dawn could attend to her. You, Annabelle, were a strong girl from the first moment of life! Coming out of the water you took a deep breath and let out a small and cute cry. You also had a great grip with your small and delicate fingers and you were able to move your head without any support. You have brought such joy into our lives already and I am looking forward to the years ahead to share this adventure with you.