
Here you are just a few minutes old!
Welcome to the world beautiful Annabelle! You were born October 28, 2010 at 6:09 am right in our very bedroom, just like we had envisioned! Your amazing story begins the night before when mommy and daddy felt like it was time to set up your birth pool. I hadn't been having any real contractions yet, but a couple of long Braxton-Hicks contractions lasting 1 or 2 hours during the past couple days. Your Grandma Campbell had come into town the night before, so she came just in the nick of time to help with your birth.

Daddy reading the instructions on how to set up the pool and mommy giving it a practice run :)
At 3 am on the 28th, I woke up to some heavy duty cramping. I wasn't quite sure if they were contractions so I laid in bed for a few more, then decided to get up to get something to eat, since I was starving, and knew that if this was the beginning, I would need lots of energy. I ate a bowl of cereal, went to the bathroom, then made my way back to the bedroom, all while having contractions about every 5 minutes. I laid back down around 3:30 am to see if I could go back to sleep, when I heard and felt a "pop" deep inside my belly. It was followed by a very strong contraction that I had to breath through before I could get up to go to the bathroom. My membrane had definitely ruptured, but I still didn't know how long it would be before you came. Sometimes it could be hours, sometimes days after the water breaks. So I was still hesitant to wake anybody else up yet :)

Right after giving birth in the warm pool we climbed right into bed to warm up. It felt so good to finally be holding you!
After coming back from the bathroom, I had to lean up against the side of the bed to breathe through another contraction. I guess it was pretty loud because I woke up your daddy :) I had him time a few contractions then decided to go down the hall and wake grandma up since they were so close together.

Daddy was so proud of us! He did a great job, too!
"Mom," I said as I cracked her bedroom door open, "I think it's starting!" She laid in bed for a few seconds, not quite awake yet as I breathed through another contraction leaning against the side of her bed. It finally registered in her brain that I was in labor when another contraction followed 1 minute later and she jumped up behind me and started rubbing my back. We moved into the bathroom where I got down on all fours and leaned up against the side of the tub. Your dad came in shortly after to see what he could do and that's when I told him to #1 call Dawn, our midwife, and #2 FILL UP THE BIRTH POOL!

It was so nice to be at home in our very own bed!
It was about 4:30 am when he called Dawn and she said she was immediately on her way! The birth pool was filling and now daddy was busy pumping up the birth ball for me to lean on. I had to focus all my attention on staying ahead of each contraction and breathing through each peak. In my head I envisioned riding a wave up and over the crest then riding it to shore. Knowing that the wave would come to shore every time and that I would have a break before the next wave gave me the strength and power to work through each contraction. Grandma just stood behind me the whole time rubbing my back and giving me encouragement. She was a wonderful doula :)

Now we're a happy little family of three!
At about 4:45 am I started feeling like I needed to push. In my mind I told myself that there was no way it was time for that yet! It had only been an hour and 45 minutes! But there was no way I could deny the sensation! Grandma was getting a little worried that she was going to have to deliver you! Thank goodness Dawn got there not too long after! It was about 5:20 am when she arrived and your dad had just finished filling up the pool, so she asked if I wanted to get in. I told her I wanted her to check and see how dilated I was before I climbed in. And guess what!? When she checked, I was already fully dilated and she could feel your head ready to crown! It was time for you to make your appearance! You were not going to wait any longer!

Dawn, our midwife waiting to deliver the placenta.
I quickly climbed in the birth pool and your daddy and grandma each held one of my hands as I first started out kneeling, facing them, leaning against the side. (In between contractions, your dad would rush into the kitchen and bring in another pot of boiling water since we had already used all the hot water and it wasn't quite warm enough, yet. He was my hero! :) After a few contractions, I turned around and hung onto the pool behind me with my arms outstretched and my legs floating in the pool in front of me. It felt so great to be completely weightless and relax my whole lower body between contractions! Daddy and grandma were awesome as I squeezed their hands every time a contraction came and I had to push. Dawn was on the opposite side of the pool checking your heart rate after each contraction. Once you crowned she had me reach down and feel your little head. It was so soft and I was so excited that you were almost here!!

Daddy cutting your umbilical cord.
Dawn kept repeating, "Push through the burn, push past the fear." That helped me a lot, and I was able to push you out in only 4 contractions! Once your head came out, the rest of your body slipped right on out with it! Dawn had you do a quick little somersault in the water so the cord could unwrap from around your neck and then she placed you right on my chest. You started crying immediately and you were so pink and healthy! Dawn gave you a 10 apgar score! That's a perfect score!! You were definitely ready to come be with us!

Daddy and Dawn weighing you in at 7 lb 15 oz
I tore just a little bit, so we had to get out of the pool and make our way over to the bed so Dawn could see how bad it was. Once she made sure it wasn't too bad, we got covered up with blankets so we could get nice and toasty. While I waited for contractions again to push the placenta out, your daddy and I took in every little bit of you. Looking at your long fingers and toes, touching your perfectly soft skin, watching your little rosebud mouth open and close. We were already deeply in love with you :) You weren't too interested in feeding, yet. All you wanted to do was sleep, which is understandable! You had had quite the morning! :)

Measuring your big 13.5 inch head :)
Once I birthed the placenta and got all stitched up, it was time for Daddy to cut the cord and see how much you weighed. You actually had a knot in your cord! That's something that is very rare and means you were a very active baby inside me! It also means you'll have a very lucky and blessed life :)

I helped measure how long you were. 19 1/4 inches.
After all your measurements were taken, Daddy and Grandma got to hold you. You can see how much they love you by the sweet look in their eyes :) They took turns calling and texting family with the great news of your birth. There was so much happiness and baby love in the room and I just couldn't take my eyes off you. I still couldn't believe how fast everything had gone and that you were now safely in my arms! We had done it!

You and daddy

You and grandma

Daddy presenting us with the most amazing waffles I've ever eaten!
After Dawn left at about 10:00 am, it was time for breakfast! Your daddy made his specialty-homemade freshly-ground wheat waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. They were so good!!! We decided that every year on your birthday we're going to make your special Annabelle Waffles :)

Here's your daddy treating me like a queen :)